Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chicken Veggie Orzo

This is the best. Allison and Brad (I think Brallison has some potential) made this for us at Starry Nights this weekend and I had to have more. The recipe is about 250 calories per cup and it makes 10 cups. It is 5 ww points per cup. I know I say this all the time, but it tastes gourmet and only takes like 15-20 minutes to make.

What You Need:

  • 1 lb. Box of Orzo
  • Small Rotisserie Chicken
  • 15-25 Grape Tomatoes 
  • Bunch of Green Onion (or 1/2 small red) 
  • 1 Avocado
  • 1/3-1/2 cup red wine vinegar (to your taste)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Greek Yogurt
  • Squirt of Lemon Juice
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
What to Do:
  • Boil Orzo (takes about 9 minutes)
  • While boiling, chop veggies to desired size. (I did about 1/3" for avocado, quartered the tomatoes, and finely chopped the green onions. I did not use the whole stalk, but only bottom to 1/2 way up.)
  • Break apart the chicken, discarding fat and skin.
  • Drain pasta, mix in veggies and other ingredients to your taste!
When in doubt, add more veggies!
Finished product!
Notes:
  • I think this recipe is good served hot as a main dish or cold as a pasta salad.
  • If you want to make this a vegetarian dish, use less vinegar since the chicken mellows it out a lot, or use more avocado.
  • A little yogurt goes a long way, so don't think you're doing yourself a favor by adding the extra love.
  • I think this would be good with some steamed asparagus or zucchini added into the mix. Allison said any veggies you have on hand are perfect!

1 comment:

  1. I liked the wording in the version you sent me better. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you guys!