Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spicy Carrot Soup

I looked everywhere for a recipe for Spanish Carrot Soup. I had some in Spain when I was staying in Sevilla, but nothing I found online was similar- so I decided to make up my own. This soup is spicy, so tone it down if you don't like that, but its delicious and hearty and only 1pt per cup! So you cant get much better than that.

What you'll need:

16 carrots, peeled
1 potato
1 large onion
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1 cup 1% milk
1 chili pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 knob fresh ginger
6 cups ff chicken or veggie broth
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
~1/2 tsp turmeric (or to taste)

What to do:
Chop onion finely, mince garlic cloves, seed and dice chili pepper, grate ginger.
Saute ginger, garlic, chili pepper, and onion in olive oil until tender and aromatic, ~7 minutes.

While the onion mixture is cooking, dice carrots and potatoes into ~1/2 inch chunks.

When onion mixture is done, add all the ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes and carrots are very tender (about 50 minutes). I didn't cover it, but probably should have as a lot of the liquid boiled out.

Scoop mixture into a food processor and puree until smooth. Stir in coconut and 1% milks.


Makes ~11 cups for 1 pt per cup.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you guys!