Thursday, April 1, 2010

Anti-Processed

So one thing I have noticed lately is the amount of processed food I eat. So I thought that I was doing pretty good cooking and and eating healthy, but there are a few kinds of eating healthy. I am eating healthy to loose weight- which is definitely what my body needs- but then eating healthy also entails getting the nutrients we need and cutting out crap that is bad for us.

One of the great things about Weight Watchers is that you can eat anything you want. You can have fries, soda, cake, candy, ho ho's, twinkies, and fried chicken- all in the same meal if you want- its just learning how to be reasonable with some of the things we American's have come to love. However the other side of the story is that while it encourages you to eat your veggies and healthy foods, it doesn't talk much about processed food, sodium, and preservatives. Uh oh- buzz words- processed food...preservatives...there's been a lot of hubub about these topics recently with a lot of hearsay on the both sides, but there are some scientific studies buried behind the processed food lore.

So actually taking pictures of the food I'm eating has helped me see just how much sodium I take in. Also, I've been including the calorie stats for my daily intake, per you all's request which also tracks nutrition intake. wow...I am probably a walking salt shaker. I sometimes have over the amt recommended for a 2000 calorie diet when I'm only eating 1,200-1,500 calories!

So I'm going to try and cook more low calorie real whole foods and share the recipes with you. This is going to be a bigger time commitment, so hopefully I can keep it up. I don't think Smart Ones will ever disappear from my diet, but maybe I can get more colorful foods on my plate and not just cream colored starch and salt. If you follow any foodie blogs- butter is the poster child of most home cooked meals so I'm going to have to try and get around that one. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you guys!