This is the love child of these two recipes. Pasta + onions (and again- thanks to CJ for finding them)
Ok so for the recipe.
You will need:
8 oz. multi grain/whole wheat pasta (at least 4 g fiber per 2 oz.)
1 large red onion
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp olive oil
3 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
4 oz. goat cheese
1 lb asparagus
3/4 cup pasta water
Salt to taste
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Add salt to the water and reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta water for later.
3. The onions take the longest, but they are definitely worth it! Chop the onions how you want to see them in the pasta. I like the chunkieness so I didn't mince them.
4. Over medium heat, saute the onion in 1 tsp. olive oil for about 20 minutes until they are just starting to caramelize. They will be very wilty. Mine looked like they were starting to burn, but they turned out really well.
5. When you have about 10 minutes left on the onions, wash and trim the asparagus, drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil over it and bake for about 10 minutes at 400 F.
5. When the onions are done, add sugar and balsalmic vinegar and cook for about 5 more minutes.
6. Add the goat cheese, nutmeg, and reserved pasta water to the onions and cook until the goat cheese is melted.
7. Toss in the pasta, chop the roasted asparagus into 1-2 inch pieces and toss that in as well. Then you're done!
Hope to see less of each other next time!